Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"Just do the best with what you have, and you'll soon be doing it better." -Gil Hodges

I am a big believer that you are never to young, old, fat, or skinny to accomplish what you really want to do.

The past 25 years I've been exploring what I want to do with my life; what I'm meant to do with my life. PR? Publishing? Management? Technology? Medical? So many fields, so many jobs it all boggled my mind to be happy doing just one thing for the rest of my life. Of course, we can always change and follow a new career path, but, to be honest, I could never see myself in one job/career for more than a year.

Until now.

People say that I'm obsessed with running.
Teehee ^_^

Well I guess I am. I'm as passionate about running and I've been so for over a year now, and that is a big deal in my vagabond lifestyle. Securing a job at a running store was a great idea. I cannot lie, I am having new girl learning trials and tribulations. I don't know everything yet and I'm coming to terms with that. I have awesome coworkers that will keep me accountable, help me out when I am failing, and coach me to do better next time. It's too early to tell, but this career path may be "the one". We'll see in a year or so when I'm all trained up. Until then, I'm happy getting paid to geek out about running!

<3 My love <3


Yesterday was my big dress rehearsal run. I was so sore from working the day before (I am constantly kneeling and getting up and down) so the first 3-4 miles were the worst trying to shake out all the aches. It was a beautiful 60-some degrees and sunny. I tried out Clif shot blocks margarita. The margarita flavor has added sodium to help bust muscle cramping. The blocks delivered on that claim and helped my poor legs feel better. The only downside was it didn't sit well in my stomach. I also tried out GU Roctane. Also, did not sit well. So it is normal GU and PowerGel for this girl! You never know unless you try, right? Pictures of these products are below for readers wondering what I'm talking about.
Delicious but not for me :(

^Okay, but again tummy did not like^




^^The winners^^


My pace was 13:30 overall, which isn't bad and definitely helped with the post leg pain. I'll probably run 30 seconds faster than that in the actual race. I'm finding that training long distances has less to do with speed and more to do with endurance. I can run a 11:28 min mile (10:55 at my absolute best) but only for 3 to 6-ish miles. Once you crest 10 miles, the game changes considerably. Until I get used to running 13.1-26.2 miles, speed improvement is not in the cards. That's why people train for years. Of course there are the lucky ones not fighting extra pounds and have a natural ability for it, but I'm doing the best with what I have.

Soon I hope to be doing it better.


No comments:

Post a Comment