Thursday, May 29, 2014

Running Hiatus

Hello friends!

As you can tell from the title of this blog, I'm going to take a small break/reduction from running. I'm nervous about doing this but I need to focus on making my body stronger since I'm encountering a lot of issues.

On Memorial Day I ran the Old Fort 5 miler in my hometown. It was a warm day but beautiful for running. I started off too fast trying to keep up with my dad and exhausted myself by mile 2.5. I've never wanted to give up so badly in a race before but I kept buggering on. Finished 57:40. I ran the race in my Brooks PureFlow and felt okay during it. Afterwards, and still today, I had crazy awful pain in my feet, ankles, shins and calves. I'm relegating those shoes for 3 miles tops. Also the heel drop (the millimeters difference between the forefoot and heel) is not working with my body. Talk about Achilles tendon pain! Whew! So I'm back in my normal running shoes for training after I heal up.

I've been experiencing some knee pain over the past 2 weeks. One major reason for this is the large amount of weak muscle in my thighs and around my knees. I'm going to be focusing on building up strength by going back to Insanity. Insanity has always helped to build up strength in my lower and upper body. I realize now how important strength training is if you want to run long distances. Weak muscles will not help anything. I like Insanity because it is very cardio based so I won't lose conditioning but I will get much stronger. I'm still going to do a long run and 1-2 short runs a week depending on how I feel. I know the first 2 weeks will be the hardest and afterwards it will get easier...until month 2!
Note awesome strong thighs. That's what I'm aiming for.
I have a lot of work ahead of me! ^_^

In other news, I'm sincerely thinking about becoming a Beachbody coach. I love their exercise programs and I feel they really work for me. I'd love to help other people reach their fitness goals and I believe Beachbody has some really great programs. I need to talk to the husband first before I make any concrete decisions though. I like the thought of being my own boss. We'll see.

Rainy day here. Bleh. Hope everyone is having a good day out there!



No comments:

Post a Comment